Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year, Dick Clark...

"Last year I had a stroke. It left me in bad shape. I had to teach myself to walk and talk again. It's been a long hard fight . My speech is not perfect but I'm getting there." -- Dick Clark


Dick Clark returned to host ABC's Time Square coverage of New Year's Rockin' Eve last night, and welcome millions of Americans to 2006 in the same way they had for more than 30 years before Dick Clark suffered a stroke in December 2004 that prevented him from welcoming 2005.

It was great to have Dick back on New Years Eve, and in my opinion he looked great. I woke up this morning with incredible respect and admiration for him. I imagine that it was an incredibly emotional night for him and his wife, and the many that probably helped him in 2005. Sharing his story and putting his slurred speech on display for millions on television was courageous, especially someone known for his looks and smooth demeanor for so long. It's a tribute to his determination that he was able to make it back to set and to his humanity that he was willing to give us a glimpse into the challenges that he, his family and his caregivers face each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home