Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tartans beat Princeton...

Division III, Carnegie Mellon defeated the Division I Princeton University last night in basketball, 51-46 in Princeton, New Jersey. ESPN.com doesn't even have a logo for CMU -- so I found them one.

Carnegie Mellon is neither a sports school or a basketball powerhouse. In Division III football, they are a very steady and solid performer. Back in the days of leather helmets, CMU had a few mighty football teams, even playing in a Rose Bowl. Prior to last night, its biggest claim to fame in basketball is as the alma mater of NC State coach Herb Sendek.

Tony Wingen's team is now 10-0 and set up for a great season in the UAA.

I've always wanted to be able to boast about the athletic acheivments of my alma mater. I can remember sitting next to the Michigan band at the Frozen Four one year thinking how cool it would be to be a part of it. During football season when local friends are talking Pitt this or Penn State that, I quietly nod along.

Ever so briefly, I played for the Tartans and Coach Wingen -- on the deepest part of the bench. I think I managed to get into 4 games in the 1991-1992 season. With 4 seconds left in the last game of the season at Washington University in St. Louis, I put back a rebound that fell in for 2 points and I missed a freethrow, giving me some actual scoring stats that I suppose I could look up at the NCAA.com or something like that. We lost the game, but as you can see it was very memorable for me.

So for one day -- before the Steelers make the playoffs or not and the New Years Day Bowl Games I can brag. How about those Tartans!

UPDATE: Over at D3Hoops.com, you can hear the last few seconds of the Tartan's victory as called by WRCT's Mike Rossman.

Links: ESPN game summary
CMU Basketball

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home