Thursday, August 25, 2005

Truth: A Simple, 3-Question, Life Saving Test

This simple test can help a bystander identify whether someone is having a stroke:

1. Ask the individual to smile.
2. Ask the individual to raise both arms.
3. Ask the person to speak a simple sentence coherently.

First presented at the 2003 International Stroke, researchers at the UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine determined that bystanders could correctly identify a victim of stroke 96% of the time by administering this test, potentially helping to accelerate response and care during the critical early moments during and following a stroke.

This test has widely circulated by e-mail, and while not endorsed by the American Stroke Association, has been verified to be true here and here.

1 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I've posted a post on your post at UnSpace.

I went into some discussion about the problems with this test. Please note the following:

"What follows is in no way intended to be a criticism of the author of Sully’s Stuff. My critique is an attempt to explain why the American Stroke Association has not endorsed this test, and what might be done to improve it. The author of Sully’s Stuff did a public service by bringing up this discussion. In my opinion, any list is better than none."

In no way is my discussion meant as a critique of your post. I'm a paramedic and former CPR, ACLS, and EMT/Paramedic instructor, so I approached the questions from my perspective.

Thanks for starting the discussion.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home