Saturday, March 04, 2006

Say hello to Dave Littlefield...


It was about 25 degrees this morning, but for a few hundred folks gathered at PNC Park this morning spring was on the corner. That's where my 5 year old son and I met Pirates General Manager Dave Littlefield. Dave asked my son to be in the picture with him, but my son's a little bit shy. Dave said we should call this "a picture of me waving to [your] son."

Dave, you should know that you're doing a great job...before we met you we hadn't spent any money. After we met you, we spent $250 on tickets and Buckaroos club memberships. Now, I realize that this doesn't make me a big spender in Major League terms, after all it will pay just about 0.6% of Jack Wilson's game check after his new contract extension, but I'll be surprised if our contribution isn't up to at least 1% by the end of the season. I don't know how you rate as a GM, but I think it's safe to say that you're not the Isiah Thomas of baseball.

I personally think the Pittsburgh Pirates do a very good job of taking care of their fans. They're especially inclusive of children, a luxury you have when you have 81 games a large chunk of empty seats. (I bet if you're in the Red Sox kids club you get 1 Red Sock, but the other one will cost you.) We enjoyed hanging out in the Pirates clubhouse, hanging out in the dugout and saying hello to the Parrot, Sauerkraut Saul, and Cheese Chester today.

If you're a Bucs fan and want to get ready for the season, check out this Pirates video on YouTube.com It will simultaneously get you ready for the season and tell you everything that's wrong with the Pirates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home