Monday, August 15, 2005

Hands-on Daddy

It is no secret that being a stay-at-home mom of three kids under the age of 5 is hard work, or that I often begrudge my husband's traveling work schedule. But as I came across this excerpt from a book a neighbor lent to me, The Three Martini Playdate by Christie Mellor, I was reminded how lucky I am to have a husband who misses being home with his family as much as we miss him:

I know a handful-a very small handful-of men who actually do carry half the load or more, and I mean making the shopping list, not just going to the grocery store. Knowing where the children keep their art supplies and favorite toys, handling a load of laundry with aplomb, and generally doing what needs to be done. These are the quiet heroes who will read books to the kids without talking about whose "turn" it is. The fine men who do not have to call their wives frantically after fifteen minutes of being alone with their progeny because their child has peed on the floor. Those admirable men who don't expect a hearty round of applause for their amazing display of sensitivity and strength after they manage to do the tiniest thing related to the keeping of the house and children. The ones who have really bonded with their children, because they have been there for the good and the bad.

For all the daddies out there who either take care of their child full-time or contribute more than their share of the domestic duties, I salute you, and I can't tell you what a joy it is to be married to one of you. Carry on, and continue to show you sons and daughters what a real man is made of.

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Sully said...

I pay good money for endorsements like this.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home